Tuesday, November 11, 2008

On Veterans Day and Other Important Things:

In The States, today is Veterans Day. To any Veteran, on this Veterans Day and every day I will say that I am proud and honored by your service. I thank you. Thank you very much.


















For me November eleventh is more then a national holiday, growing up it was my grandparents wedding anniversary. There was always a party with family and friends on that day. Grandpa died when my kids were small but Grandma didn’t until 1982 on her wedding anniversary, Nov 11.

I was there taking care of her from the cancer that took her life. With as many family as we could get and wanted to come, we were in the room as she breathed her last. I loved her with my whole heart and soul. She was in such pain in the end that it was a relief to see her go.

She taught me how to crochet and she made hundreds of baby layette sets for friends and family over the years. When I close my eyes I can see her in her living room chair, crochet in hand watching Jeopardy answering the right answer before the contestants or playing the piano in the corner. She played the ukulele and always wanted to see Hawaii but never did. She had a good sense of humor and was very smart for a woman who never went to high school.

My Grandma was the woman who in answer to my Aunts silly notes written on grandma’s kitchen calendar one day, took the time to answer each date with a silly reply letter. The letter’s that still survived were the inspiration for my Silly Holiday on the thirteenth of each month in this blog.

It’s been twenty-six years and I don’t miss her any less. I make her recipes in my kitchen, I sing the songs I learned at her side while she played the piano and I think of her often. Her wedding picture is on my mantle and I still have the dress.

Today is Grandma day for me.

No comments: