Saturday, January 3, 2009

On First Big Change: Kevin’s Mittens:

For those of you who don’t know I’ll tell the tale again. On July 7, 2008 I posted this blog. My Son, who I had been referring to as Shining Son, died on July 6, 1999 in a car accident. Before my son died he volunteered with helping the homeless and troubled teens. Now I’m knitting mittens in his name for those in need and asking others to join in. This project is the ‘Kevin’s Mittens’ on the side of my blog. I have started a new blog page for this Kevin’s Mittens Charity work and will leave a link over to it on the side of this blog from now on. I plan to add mitten patterns in the future.

On A Big Mitten:















Once upon a time, a long, long time ago. Okay, my son was seven and my daughter was five. Anyway, I was trying to find something to use up a box of yarn leftovers. The kids were on the floor playing with a game of wooden pick up sticks.

I had made the kids some extra winter hats and mittens already. And asked them, “Okay what should I knit next?” Shining Son said, “Make me a mitten.” I said, “I did already.” He said, “No, a big one that I can climb into.” We all laughed. I said, “I don’t have any circular needles only these double pointed ones for people size hats and mittens.” Shining Son got down on the floor and scooped up the game and said, “Use these.”

And that is how it got started. I used those 17 colorful pickup sticks, size 8, double pointed knitting needled to make a big mitten from the scraps. Of course I didn’t have enough scrap to finish it that year. And times being tough back then, I had to wait until other people got around to giving me their leftover yarn too. And Shining Son kept on growing.

I must admit that I didn’t think about it sometimes for years before I’d hear from him asking about the mitten. I’d get it out and knit some more. Finally I bought some miss matched clearance yarn, in keeping with the rest of it, and finished it off. He was over six feet by then. But I did good. When he slipped it over his head it covered him completely. I found it on his bed at his apartment as a bed spread after he died.

The thing is seven feet from cuff to tip. I laid a yard stick on it so you could get an idea about how large it is.

Yes, I know it is not true to size in the thumb. I started the thumb separately when it was going to be smaller. No, I have never thought about making another mitten to go with it. He asked me once if I would make another if he had kids some day. But he never got that far. So it stands alone. Or I should say sits alone in a box with some of his other things. And some of those the pick up stick knitting needles are still with my other knitting needles and I used them just last month. And every time I do I remember the ‘Big Mitten.’

1 comment:

Lace hearts said...

I'm amazed at the size of the mitten - I remember one of my few attempts to knit a jumper for my brother, and it took 6 years, and then somebody finished it for me. I felt so sad reading about your son. It sounds as if he did good things in the time he had.
Thank you for leaving a comment - I've had a couple of good ideas, and will put the best in a hat. Yours is certainly an excellent suggestion.