Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On Responsibility:















I’m back. Not that I really went any where. I did have to type that blog for Mountain Man yesterday but it was still nice of him to give me the day off in a sense.

What did I do with the time, you ask? I went to the doctors for a recheck. I finished a pair of mittens while waiting for my appointment and then went grocery shopping. Big day, I know.

No really. It was a good day. It was a good day because I didn’t die. I had an allergy attack again from popping a chip in my mouth from Mountain Man’s plate. It was a new flavor and I wanted a taste. Fortunately I had just taken my allergy meds for something else so I didn’t kiss the floor right away and had time to get more meds in my system.

They were fried in 100% peanut oil. I thought he had read the ingredients before buying them and he thought I wouldn’t put anything in my mouth without reading the label first. We have agreed not to let any peanut products into the house again without bright orange caution tape and flairs.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own well being. I can not fault him for wanting to have a guilt pleasure that doesn’t effect him like it does me. But where do you draw the line?

Do I ban peanut products from the house? We’ve tried that only to find me face down on the floor almost choking to death because I had a false sense of security about things I really don’t have any control over. Companies do change ingredients in their products without letting the consumer know at times. How many times have we heard on the news about a product warning about an ingredient having been omitted on the label that could kill the person allergic to it?

So today I go back to living my vigilant life with meds in my pocket. Knowing full well that I have danced with Master Death once too often and one of these days he will take me away, whether I read the labels or not.

No comments: