Wednesday, December 24, 2008

On An Ice Sculpture World:















For those of you who don’t know we live on top of a mountain. It is colder up here by an average of eight degrees then in the valley below.

We are currently incased in ice. It has been raining for hours and that has turned into a nice crusty coating of ice on everything. And what has soaked into the snow has turned it heavy and hard.

When the sun comes up the temperature is supposed to rise and thaw some of this out. But snow melts a lot faster then ice. Mountain Man plowed but we have a dirt and gravel dive a quarter mile long so the snow base he has to leave is now all becoming thick ice.

So far we have power but my hopes are not high that it will stay that way. The ice is getting thicker as I type. I’m glad we didn’t really have anywhere to go today.

I don’t mind being snowed in. Snow you can have fun with. Snow you can move. But ice is just trouble. It is fine frozen over the pond with a good pair of ice skates on your feet. But in this weather you can’t get that far.

The Valley may thaw enough to have a good day. But we will be working hard just to keep our footing. I doubt that it will get warm enough, long enough to help much around here. It’s a good thing that we don’t have any children at our house anymore or Santa would just slip and fall off the roof before anymore presents could be delivered.

Until it is warm enough to even try to tackle I’m going to just sit tight, sip tea, knit some more of the Kevin’s Mittens and look at a world that glistens like sun on glass.

Where did I put my sunglasses?
___________

That was before I could hit the send button. We were in the dark for an hour but my blog had been in a saved file. It’s a little late and I’m sending it out before the lights go again.

2 comments:

Mouse said...

I've always wanted to know this.. so I'll risk looking stupid to ask it. Is that you dressed up in the photo on the top of the blog or is it a vintage photo? Some folks goth wardrobes are so good its hard to tell modern photos from old.
I have this mental image of you out skating on the pond in an outfit like that with a fur muff and a giant hat..
Merry Christmas/Happy Yule to you and Mountain Man! I hope this coming year is great for all of us.

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Mouse,

Yes, that is me in the picture. Thank you for asking. I blogged about it a while back and I should do it again for those that have found me more recently. I dress up Victorian a lot and we sometimes do cemetery photo shoots.

I don't have a fur muff but mine is velvet and wool stuffed. I have about a dozen different hats in different old fashioned styles. And I haven't skated on the pond since my daughter moved out years ago. Not as much fun alone, except maybe at night.

Sincerely, Lady Euphoria