Friday, March 19, 2010

On Play Pretties:

I know it won’t surprise you that I have craft supplies on hand.

I dug some out last night and started working on one of those jangly bangly hip belts for belly dancing. I was hard pressed to find enough sturdy chain for the foundation.

(And No, I am not sewing up a whole hip piece, only to have to take it apart and start again when I loose a few pounds.)

Okay, I knew I had sturdy chain. It was the enough part that had me flummoxed. I will admit to you, because you are my friend and I know it will go no further, my hips measure 54 inches. Let me see, that’s about 260 cm.

(Yes, that makes me almost as wide around as I am tall. But we are not going to talk about that right now. And besides, I‘m doing this to try to loose those inches. And no wise cracks about my use of the word ‘sturdy‘ either. It will be taking a lot of abuse each day as I fumble around, err, I mean dance.)















Now back to the belt: I still have a bit more to do, adding more chain and dangly beads. Silver and black. You can’t go wrong with that combination. It will go with what ever costume I come up with later on. And having a chain base I can easily reduce the linkage as I loose weight and inches.

I think it is a good start. And I can’t wait to see them flying around my hips when I do a ‘hip pop’ or a ‘shimmy’ move.

It will weigh a couple of pounds by the time it is done, but that is a good thing. I’m told that it helps keep your movements smooth and dancing around with the extra weight helps the weight loss happen faster.

Once the belt is done all I’ll have to do is sew it to the skirt with a couple of stitches here and there to hold it in place.

I’ve already slit the side seams to the hip, out of a skirt for me to practice in. Add a spandex exercise top and ‘Belly Dance 101’ will further commence in my family room. Who knew I had all I needed right here all the time?

Now where did I put my belly dancing music CD I bought on sale a few years back for a laugh?

No comments: