Wednesday, March 31, 2010

On Planning a Funeral:

Unpredictable Spring. The snow is melting and the lights are back on.

I was all set to post yesterday. Just about to hit the save button on what I wrote and move it to the blog and poof. No lights and high winds, freezing rain, sleet and snow coming down for the rest of the day.

I was also going to rewrite my wishes for my funeral. I had the things I want at my funeral written down for years now and the Ex was sent off with some of the same elements, so I’m changing mine.

My daughter made all the arrangements and we hadn’t talked about it at all. I guess we think some what alike.

So, now I am picking different music and other things like picture and flower choices.

Dieing is the one thing we all do, yet few plan for the funeral itself. I’ve had no end of fun over the years planning every diddle and jot of mine.

Clothes, hair, perfume, jewelry, flowers, casket, pictures, music… the whole shebang. I have it all planned.

I even have a list of people to inform of my demise and those I don’t want there.

I have my obituary written for the newspaper and the one for the blog.

I of course know that this day will be different then I imagine. The ones I leave behind will have other needs at that time and will make changes toward those ends.

I am not a queen with an unlimited budget, nor do I want my loved ones uncomfortable with my choices. Their send off will be different then they imagined also, as I will be the poor bereaved needing soothing in my time of grief.

My ‘fantasy funeral’ is so much bigger and better then the one on paper. But I am a realist and I can’t see spending that kind of money on my dead decaying body. Still I’d love it if I could.

1 comment:

Batty said...

That's so... romantic! Seriously, the first thought to come to my mind. I'm sure it will be beautiful, even if you don't have the budget for a royal sendoff.