Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Today I am sick. I had dreams of better subjects to start off with in my blog, but there it is. I am sick. Yesterday afternoon it struck.

There are three levels of sickness. The first is the drag yourself around but still get things done kind. The last is the helpless being taken care of by others kind. And in the middle is the morass of misery kind.

I don’t have the energy to do much of anything but have to use what little I do have on things like blowing my nose and dragging myself to the facilities and back. The only reason I can write now is that I have the keyboard in bed with me. I am too sick to enjoy being under the weather. My eyes hurt too much to read or watch a movie.

And so I am left in bed thinking for most of the time. This is a double edged sword. On the one hand I can think freely with out having to pay attention to what I am doing. On the other the fever makes my thoughts run askew. Brilliant thoughts about the ‘shape of purple’ and the ‘if we could shrink ourselves what would the world offer’ bump into the thoughts of needed groceries to remember to put on the shopping list and what to make for lunch that won’t hurt my sore throat.

I am a do-er. I do things. I like my hands and mind to be busy. Being stuck in bed goes against my self interests. I pick up some knitting. This of course is taking longer because I am taking out almost as many stitches as I put in. I put it aside. I am sick and I will stop here. I have to get up out of bed and get myself another box of tissues. Maybe I’ll feel better later after another nap.

No comments: