Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On Birds:

I have been watching the Turkey Vultures that have been hanging out around our woods. We’ve had them before but not for some years and now they are back.

They fly in the thermals circling, circling with their large black wings and bright red/orange heads.

I think it has to do with the increase of road kill laying around. Not that there are more animals being killed. It’s just that the road kill out there is not being cleaned up like it once was. And the turkey vultures have moved in to do the clean up themselves.

They need to live somewhere and I’m glad that they chose here. It’s not like with the hawks. You have to look out for your dogs if they are small like mine are. A hawk or large owl will nab a small dog if the conditions are right. Turkey vultures only eat things that are already dead. They are the clean up crew of the forest. Any kill that is left over from the other animals around the vultures feed off of.

You just don’t need to worry about the odor of road kill when vultures live near by. So I’m having fun watching the turkey vultures flying over our woods.

Oh, and another thing. I am still learning how to get all the bells and whistles to work on this blog so I will apologize for my mess up with the link yesterday. So here it is again and thanks for hanging in there. knittingpatterncentral.com

No comments: