Saturday, May 8, 2010

On Change:

I have always tried to except change in my life. Change happens no matter how you try to insulate against it. So I figure, why fight it?

Not that there wasn’t some kicking and screaming at times. My son’s death and my cancer comes to mind.

And there is also the good changes to consider. Spring after a long winter, new car when the old gets too troublesome, presents, vacations…

Change means letting go and embracing. Learning and forgiving. Challenge and acceptance. Making room and different perspectives.

This brings us to the present. Thing are just about the same as yesterday. I have all my body parts in place. My house is still a mess, but standing strong. Plants flourish green in the yard. Knitting moves forward.

With the exception of my news. It has changed everything in my life, by the way.

I’m going to be a 'grandma' for the first time in my life. Well, not until October in reality, but you know what I mean.

I didn’t think I was going to see this day, so I just planned a life without grandkids.

Once my kids grew up and left home, I danced alone with the fairies in the woods. I wished on evening stars by myself. The fireflies in my garden went unmolested on summer evenings. I wore fairy wings to do housecleaning. I dress up for myself alone.

My eyes see everything differently yet again as this change works its way into my life. Grandma. Grandchild. I can get behind this one.

I think, I’ll never be a conventional grandma. But I’ll bet I’m the funny one. Both funny ‘ha, ha’ and funny ‘odd.’

No fears of this becoming a Granma blog, by the way. I’m not into having kids or grandkids in my image. I’m just hoping health. Life and its individuality can take it from there.

8 comments:

whitey said...

great words to live by.

FUZZARELLY said...

Thank goodness this baby will have such a wonderful grandma!

How very cool for you and all concerned!

Love you and hugs!

Rebecca Nazar said...

What great news. Congrats! That child is going to be stylin' with all the lovely things you'll knit and its own pair of wings you'll craft. : )

Karyn said...

Oh Happy Day...new life, what a wonderful gift, and made more so by the fact that we are at an age where we can send them home with Mom and Dad whenever we want :)

You must never change yourself, I adore you and your blog!

Happy Mother's Day and Congratulations, dear friend!

Hugs
Ma TK

Anonymous said...

You'll still be the coolest grandma in the country! Congratulations!

rabbitIng said...

granma blog all you like, as far as I'm concerned. i've got 4 3/4 and I think they're fantastic. much more enjoyable than own kids, cos no responsibility - and they're our future. so many, many congrats, you'll be a fantastic grandma, I know it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Euphoria! So happy for you all. Your going to be such an awesome grandma!
Love,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Congrats! They are oodles of fun, apparently. :D