Monday, January 11, 2010

On Scheduling, Brought to You by TV:

First let me say that I do know how to tell time. I just didn’t grow up in a household that used clocks.

It was the TV programming that told us when it was time to leave for school or go to bed, not the clock. Once a certain program came on we were to leave for school in the mornings. If the first commercial break came on we had to run all the way, if the next was on we were late and needed a note.

Program theme songs told us when it was time to eat or go to bed. Home work was done before or after a favorite after school cartoon show. Dinner was always tolled by ‘The Flinstone’s’ theme song at our house.

The Television was always on and a backdrop to our days. A force. A constant. A time piece.

“Be home from your friends house by the Evening News” or “Right after “Wagon Train.”

I used to blog in the mornings around 7:00 AM, right after my morning cartoon show. But they changed my morning television line up and I’m a bit lost.

The new time for my show conflicts with my yoga practice and I find myself not getting on the computer until the afternoon now.

This way of telling time is a wonderment to Mountain Man. He laughs and tell me once again that we have no less then six working clocks in the house, not counting watches, and the computers and cell phones also have clocks in them. That it shouldn’t matter what is on the TV. But for me it just does.

The TV as time piece is just how I’m wired since birth. I can’t be the only one. Can I?

2 comments:

Mouse said...

You're definitely not the only one.. I've always told time by television shows and I give directions by landmarks and in hours or minutes rather than miles. I also never have any clue how old anyone is in physical years or what the date is... my best friend jokes that it is because fairies don't need to tell time. lol.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

i can so relate to this. truly..
i loved your comments you left..thank you. i love cemetaries too. i often eat lunch in our local cemteary while sitting in the car. i just kinda roll around and write names down and then do reasearch on them. try to find out who they were.
xoxo nita