Monday, October 27, 2014

Hoot, hoot, hoot, hoo, HOOOOO!

I woke up this morning to a Hooty Owl making his or her presents known.  I so love that lonely sound.  Calling a lover?  Warning a mate?  I know not why.  Only that it thrills my soul.

Later when I was letting out the dog, I heard the Geese calling high in the air on their way southward, as the dog shuffled his way through the cracking leaves on the ground.

Sound is so wonderful in the crisp Autumn air.  Sharper, more distinct.  It also goes farther without the leaves on the trees and bushes muffling them.  Whispers sound nearer.  Creeping things can’t hide their presents as well as they once did.

Autumn will always be my favorite time of year.  And not for Halloween either.

For me it is the light… the sounds… the opening up of things.

I can see farther into the woods, or down the street, as the trees loose their leaves.  Darkness comes early and lights come on in peoples houses, giving me peeks into their homes before the curtains are drawn.  Daylight turns dapple then pure as the trees open up loosing their canopy of cover.  Nighttime comes early.

There is also a closing in the Autumn.  A moving indoors, nesting and snuggling in.  Filling the larder.  Pulling out the warmer comfort clothing and bedding.  Getting ready for the dead of winter to come.

Soups.  I can and do live on soups.  Comfort foods.  A cup of tea and a good book by the woodstove.

No comments: